Monday, April 12, 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's

A still from Edison's Stenographer's friend. Stenography was just starting up as a profession in 1910 and was one of the best paid. Edith Nicholson attended secretarial school.

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's on Turner Classic movies and then watched it in French on my DVD player as I realized I owned the Audrey Hepburn collection.

I had heard the book serialized on BBC Radio 7, and remembered what a superb work it was, the perfect prose, the edgy story all gilded in a girly girl aura but with dark undertones. And that perfect name, Holly Golightly. I think, the next cat I get I will call Holly Golightly for irony.

The movie is wonderful, as everyone knows, although those Blake Edwards' slapstick touches were unnecessary, as everyone has said.

You know, it would be logical to equate Holly with the Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman, (both girlish charming prostitutes) but I find myself wanting to compare her to Bridget Jones's, which to many will make no sense, as they appear (except for the excessive drinking) to be diametric opposites.

But they are both free spirits, I find, caught in a world that isn't quite right for them. In a sense EVERYWOMAN. No woman is allowed to be who she really is.

I think that EVERYWOMAN is a play, or is it EVERYMAN? Flora goes to see it in Montreal in 1912. She also goes to see Polly of the Circus.

But I digress, because I can't figure out where to go with this essay... With respect to Flo in the City, my novel in progress about a girl coming of age in the pivotal 1910 era, based on the letters of http://www.tighsolas.ca/, let me say that in Montreal, Flora, Marion and Edith had Birks not Tiffany to represent the ideal life.

Maybe I should have a chapter Breakfast at Birks. I think I will!!!

Ps. In a Single Man, the Colin Firth movie this past year, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award there's a scene where his boyfriend is reading Breakfast at Tiffany's - to show how classy he was I guess.

Oh, that reminds me of another point: gay writers are very good at deconstructing the male/female relationship (being on the outside looking in)but maybe too close to the subject to deconstruct their own relationships. Something was missing in A Single Man, for me, with respect to insight into the relationship. Although, like Breakfast at Tiffany's the movie was pretty in the extreme. But I haven't read the book A Single Man, admittedly.