Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Entering the Modern Age - While Living in the Past

a 1909 bi-plane in the Nova Scotia Aviation museum, with the cockpit of a 60's jet nicknamed the widowmaker.


We dropped into the tiny Nova Scotia aviation museum for a bathroom break, on the way home from Halifax to Montreal and I took this picture of a 1909 aeroplane. You really get an idea for how flimsy these heavier than air machines were, like a large scale model of something a child might put together, or like a bicycle with add ons.


When you read the accounts in 1910 (I have posted a number from Technical World Magazine on my www.tighsolas.ca/page311.html website, you will see how quick progress was with respect to how far planes could fly, once they got it right.


I've entered the modern age myself. I bought an iPod and a Kindle. Why? Well, I joined an exercise club for a cheap summer price and saw that everyone on the treadmills and elipticals was listening to her own music, so I took the plunge. And then I started downloading my favorite songs from iTunes. I had to remember what they were. I bought Miracles and Winchester Cathedral and Annie's Song and Baez's the Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. Armatrading's Down to Zero, Melanie's Lay Down Candles in the Rain, some Rosemary Clooney Hey There (what a voice) and Peter Paul and Mary's Where have all the Flowers Gone. Piaf's La Vie en Rose and Lang's Hallejulah, Circle Game by Joni Mitchell, and my favourite in 1968 or around Silhouettes (how do you spell that? it's French) by Herman's Hermits. Also Poetry Man by Phoebe Snow. Georgia on my Mind by Ray Charles. My own Desert Island Discs. Also River Deep Mountain High by Ike and Tina Turner. By the Sea by Bobby Darin. And I couldn't find Murray Head's Say it Ain't So. I guess he didn't give them the rights. I drove my friends crazy with my obsession with that song in the 70's.


And then I downloaded the ibook app (because I have created a pdf of my Looking For Mrs. Peel Play www.tighsolas.ca/page3.pdf.pdf


which made me want a Kindle. So I just bought it off amazon.ca (or com actually as the Canadian amazon doesn't have it) I think there's a charge at customs, which I HATE.


Anyway, the exercise session went great, (Miracles is a GREAT treadmill song) except today the place had that obnoxious electronic dance style music on the sound system, so I had to really stick my earplugs deep into my ears. (Talk about multitasking: I was trying to adjust the treadmill to some kind of cardio program and the iPod ear piece at the same time, while watching the TV in front that had closed captions. Christine Baranski was on the View talking about her brilliant career. ) I also need something to hold the iPod as I put it in the place for the water bottle and I am likely to step off the treadmille forgetting it's in that slot- with hilarious results no doubt. I'm pretty spaced out after exercise. Today, leaving the women's changing room, I walked past a local doctor and then realized I had walked into the (empty) men's dressing room instead of taking the route to the exit. Had I walked in a few minutes earlier, it would have been the old switcheroo, I would have got to see him naked for a change.


All this makes me wonder, is new technology just a bottomless money pit (I mean I've bought all these albums before, the vinyl, then the CD's which I lost or scratched) or is it an OPPORTUNITY? If my pdf radio play gets more readers (it's fairly popular in Malaysia and Australia) that would be proof it's an opportunity.


This is just like in 1911,when new technologies were taking a quantum leap forward. In my book, Flo in the City based on the letters of http://www.tighsolas.ca/ I have brother Herb try to get the family to invest in oil (because that's the future, he says.) They do not agree. I base this on the fact I found a pamphlet in the Nicholson stash about Investing in Oil. 1910. Flo also drives in a Stanley Steamer, (true story). Steam cars did not take off, so to speak.