Saturday, October 16, 2010

30 Rock Live

Actress Adele Blood, who starred in Everywoman in Montreal in 1911, and Flo and her classmates watched her.

I just watched the live 30 Rock on TV. My husband told me about it. We record three sitcoms, 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. It's the glue of our 25 year old marriage. We watch these shows at noon, before my husband has to go to work at his TV station.

It's one of the few things we enjoy together. As you can tell from my blog, I listen to BBC Radio Four as a rule, and watch little TV. My husband has no interest in radio plays and Classic Serials.

I like all these shows, but 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother, at their best, are my favorite.

Anyway, I watched the live 30 Rock on tape , which defeats the purpose, I guess. (I didn't know it was on last night, as I watched Mr Roberts on Turner Classic Movies, that is a movie with no plot and tonnes of great acting.)

This 30 Rock was one of the better written episodes. And it was excellent, with all the actors proving they were worthy.

You know, there's a bit in the French Lieutenants's Woman, where an actor who plays a servant is shown in the 'reality' part, playing the piano -for he is a gifted artist. Well, in this 30 Rock, the principals proved themselves worthy, but I thought that Maulik Pancholy, who plays a minor character, seemed as confident doing it live as the higher billed actors. So it goes.

And it was a bit of ' a play within a play' as it is a show ab0ut a live TV show.

This blog has nothing to do with Flo in the City, save that Flo in the City takes place in 1910, when the PHOTO PLAY or motion picture, taped, was taking over from the STAGE, live. And I have written an awful lot about that and how it changed the way we lived and even thought.

Anyway, next month I am going to New York with my son's girlfriend to watch a play, Mrs. Warren's Profession, and staying at a hotel, the Chatwal, near Rockefeller Center. I haven't been there since 1982, when I visited that building and, I admit, I had a strange feeling in that building. I knew I would go there again.

About time.