Sunday, May 22, 2011

Don't Go Out on the Water, Dear

Macdonald College Campus (John Abbott) from 10th floor of the Veteran's Hospital. Weird cloud formation on the left, looks like a flying saucer as in UFO.

My husband took this photo of John Abbbot College from the Veteran's Hospital, where his Dad resides.

We walked around Ste Anne de Bellevue, Saturday.


I wanted to check if the locks were there in 1910. Yes, they were there in 1860's.


There you go.


Flora does not mention them at all.


I wanted to check because Norman Nicholson writes a 'funny' line in a letter to his daughter. When he first hears she has been accepted at Macdonald Teaching College he warns her "Do not be persuaded by any man to go onto the water. There are many eddies."



I have to wonder if he was worried about the eddies or the Eddie's as in Edwards'.


Anyway.


I wonder if people boated on the water back then. I know they do know, some in giant gas guzzling cabin cruisers. My husband always comments on these boats when we eat by the water in Ste. Anne. Saturday, he said, "Lots of people having to give up their boats. Too expensive to run."



I think big boats are a symbol, in his head, of "having made it."


My symbol of having made it is a stable full of Arabian horses. Or maybe those beautiful Friessiens you can see galloping around in all their impeccably-groomed glory on YouTube.



Anyway, there is a old stone pioneer house on the Main Street of Ste. Anne that has a sign outside that says http://www.musee/ Ste Anne.org. (I once attended a party there. I recall the walls are very thick.)


The "museum" was locked on Saturday and looked emptyish inside. I checked the website (written on the sign) and it isn't up yet, or has been taken down.

I'd love to speak to someone to learn more about Ste. Anne in 1910. I do have a bit from a travel magazine of the era...





I wonder if the train station is in the same place it always was.


A man was fishing on the pier at St. Anne de Bellevue. The noisy railway bridge in view was obviously there in 1910. The old pier (in 1910 era pic below) was a little closer to shore. The stone pylons (or whatever they are called) are still there. I bet the fish were safer to eat in 1910.