Thursday, May 19, 2011

I'm Worth Eleven Dollars!!



The Sun Came Out! Yea! My neighbour's yard could use a mow.


I don't know whether to laugh or cry-- or do neither. That's probably most sensible.


I found this website that evaluates websites and it claims that my www.tighsolas.ca website is worth, get this 11 dollars!


I'm not rich!


The site also claims www.tighsolas.ca gets 65 unique visitors a day, but I know that it gets around 185 or so...about 3,000 a month.


But what they don't know: that most of the visitors are Canadian students and when they arrive at Tighsolas, they find what they are seeking.


(If you want lots and lots of visitors to a website, just write 'humungous boobs' and you'll get plenty. I know, I wrote this one time on my site when describing my grandmother. I'm sure the swarm of visitors who came to www.tighsolas.ca did not expect so see a fat French Canadian Mamma in flapper-wear strutting down the Atlantic City Boardwalk in 1928. A bit of a let down. But it wasn't false advertising. She had ENORMOUS boobs.)


Information about 1910. That's what visitors to my site are seeking. Information about fashion, transportation, family life, suffragettes and cost of living. The Titanic. Eugenics. IQ and Montessori. Marconi and Ford and Edison. Or era information on social etiquette and dating.


And I know these visitors are school children because most of the IP's belong to various schoolboards, across North America, but mostly in Ontario and BC. Not Quebec, which is annoying, although someone from the Lester B. Pearson Board in Montreal made a thorough visit to Tighsolas last month.


I know that one high school teacher in BC has the kids read the letters and describe what has changed and what has stayed the same in 100 years. And you know, they get it, immediately. (That's why I am writing Flo in the City: Kids get it!)


I posted this social studies website 5 years ago, not knowing what I was doing, and despite its many shortcomings, structurally speaking, it has been of some considerable use to students across Canada, I know this for sure - and that's what matters. Not money.


Back then, in 2005, the info I dug up on the 1910's, by purchasing era magazines off eBay, was new to the web. (Yes, it has cost me money, a fair bit, to post Tighsolas.) Today there's a lot about the 1910 era on the web, even Edison videos on YouTube. And everything you could want at www.archive.org.


But my material on middle class family life in Canada is, indeed, rare and unique. And the pages of household accounts are also fascinating and one of a kind.


I have a new improved version of www.tighsolas.ca waiting to be posted (I hired a PhD in History to construct it) but I am awaiting news from an Academic Publisher I pitched before I do anything. This publisher is interested in the Tighsolas letters, for a scholarly book, and maybe I will use the new website as a complementary resource.


But that book won't make me any money either. Only I will be making a difference, somehow, and that is what I care about.