Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mr. Megginson: Where are You?







This is the picture of Tom Megginson who is Creative Director for an ad agency called Acart Communications in Ottawa. I 'captured' this detail from one of that company's webpages. I wonder if this is a naughty thing to do?



Acart Communications specializes in getting the word out about social issues, apparently. It's the type of firm I'd like to do work for.



There are no email addresses (of course) on this Acart website. So, how to enquire about possible freelance work?

I considered sending my C.V. to Mr. Megginson, snail mail. I even thought I might write it on the old, yellowing Canadian Transcontinental Railway letterhead Norman Nicholson left behind, using Courrier typeface, ah, font. As a gimmick to get attention. Saying something like, "Sorry about this old paper, but 'waste not, want not' as they used to say." (They REALLY said that in the old days, you know. They said that and then they put their actions where their adages are.)




But then I found a job ad Mr. Megginson had posted on Twitter and realized he is very into this modern social media thing. Everyone is, of course, although, I fear, Twitter may soon be passe.



My cousin, Veronica, is in media relations with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and a few years ago, when only kids had heard of Twitter, she created a stir by using Twitter to get attention for the Mars Landing - on a sleepy holiday weekend. (She had kids, you see.)



I think she bypassed all the bureaucracy there at NASA by virtue of it being a holiday (sneaked in under the radar so to speak) and started sending Tweets from the Mars Landers' point of view, to get people's attention. She got great results and, even better, great nation-wide press. Perfect timing on her part. Win-win for everyone.



Anyway, if you read this, Mr. Megginson. (if blogs aren't too old hat or old victrola for you) please go to www.tighsolas.ca/page742.html. You will see that I have long been penning articles and essays about social issues, especially around education.



But because of recent heart-breaking experiences, I now take an interest in eldercare issues.



My present hobby is history, because I have found 'what comes around goes around' especially with respect to social issues.



This book I am writing, Flo in the City shows how easy it is to ignore the suffering of others, even if it is right at your doorstep.



In the book, Flora Nicholson, 19 year old teacher-in-training and a well brought up Presbyterian (who was a real person) is given an opportunity to learn about the human cost of her shirtwaists and princess skirts. But does she pay attention?