Sunday, June 19, 2011

Car Trip to Richmond, 2011.. 100th anniversary drive




Tighsolas, today, is for sale. Do I dare go by for a visit?




We took our 100 year anniversary road trip from Montreal to Richmond, crossing the scary Victoria Bridge (at the end of Mountain Street) using our Tom Tom which drove me crazy with its poor pronounciation of French names, even MON TRAIL and the fact that it has conniptions every time you veer off the prescribed path. Take a U TURN as soon as you can!




We tried to take the low road, but I think ended up taking 'the high road' and then the super highway 10.




Where is 'the low road' I dunno.




We made an effort to go back and drive through Chambly, which is an historic old town in that most of its heritage homes on the main drag are intact.




Then we passed through Marieville, a small town with a big church (like all the rest) and then we took the highway past Granby (the one ET town I have visited a lot in my life because of the zoo) and went to Waterloo and then took the road Edith likely drove on in 1911 past Flodden (yes, we finally found it) and the road that leads to Kingsbury, marked KINGSBURY, so how we missed it last time I don't know.




Flodden and Kingsbury are still on the map, literally if not figuratively.




And the quarry talked about in that 1867 letter I have posted on http://www.tighsolas.ca/ is visible there. I guess that's the GORE?




Anyway, Tighsolas is for sale, by owner, so I took a picture (since they are selling) and we ate a snack at the creperie in the house at the corner, and bought some nice pastries and ate them at the picnic table at center of Richmond, near the bridge, below, with a beautiful view that the snap doesn't convey. This is where the very real Flora Nicholson of Flora in the City happens upon Miss Gouin and friends picnicking. In my story.




The sign at Tighsolas said Phone After Six but I went up and rang the bell anyway. No answer. The Skinner/Crombie house is also for sale by agent and I took a tour online. I wonder if that bigger house is as well built as Tighsolas?



My husband thinks the original slates on the roof are on the old homestead. And Norman personally inspected every piece of timber, discarding as many as he kept. See, well-built.


My husband didn't need to see the house. He's been in it many many times.




The Skinner House is going for 250.. so the Tighsolas house is probably going for around the same amount.






The area was quiet and beautiful yesterday. We narrowly missed being caught in two downpours: one at the cemetery and one at Tighsolas. I pondered the effect on the girls of growing up in such a picturesque area 100 years ago. Not only the immediate Tighsolas area, but the ET which has beautiful views everywhere you look. Their love of beauty certainly was certainly cultivated there. (I grew up in relatively ugly areas... Ste. Marthe sur la lac, Wabush, Snowden.)



Today, I visit the curator of museum at Ste. Anne de Bellevue, to see pictures of old Ste. Anne and Monday, I visit the Westmount Library.


Oh, and the building I've been calling the Old Post office is the Bank of Montreal building. So the Post Office may be a building beside the new Post Office as it has a two storey warehouse behind it, as described by Norman. Right in front of Hotel.


Like Edith in 1911, we left home at 10 am and got to our destination at 6:15. That is we got back home by then. A round trip, 100 years later.

View from College to Tighsolas. I have Flora looking down the street and feeling safe and secure. It still is a beautiful corner.