Friday, June 10, 2011

Details, details. All about Soap!





Well, I'm writing Flora in the City and I have Edith and Margaret doing the laundry in June 1911. (True!) Of course, in the letters they mention the doing of it, but don't describe how they do it. Too obvious. I can see by the Eaton's Catalogue what a washing tub looks like and a wringer.




But the soap.. What soap do they use. (I have an image of Granny Clampett stirring her laundry in big smelly pots of lye soap by the swimming pool).



This was the age of Light Soap and Water. The Ivory Soap add above says ordinary washing powders and labour saving soaps are good for ordinary laundry, but only Ivory is good for fancy work.



The ad for Lux, uses the P word twice in the ad. Purifying, Snowy white and purity.




The Nicholson store books show they bought bars of soap and sometimes bars of fancy soap.




Hmm.




I'm guessing they bought bars of some soap, an ordinary one, and grated it. (I'm assuming, because soaps in flakes were available, and they wouldn't have put out that product if flakes were not wanted by women. Labour saving, see. Not strong lye of course.




Guessing.


Maybe I'll have someone remark, somewhere, that Mrs. Montgomery thinks they should use Ivory. Maybe when Flora comes back in November and spends two days washing her white dresses.



Lux went on to sponsor Radio shows. Lux Theatre....I've heard some of their stuff on the BBC Radio 4. Or I heard a play based on the Lux Theatre. Big name actors were used.