Thursday, June 2, 2011



I got up early today, mostly because I wanted a coffee. We had a power failure yesterday afternoon, due to high winds, and I not had a cup since the previous morning.


And I do like my coffee. I drink tonnes. Much more than is good for me.


So I got up, fed the cat his can of gross grilled chicken (which I have figured out costs more, pound per pound, than the finest cut of steak) removed the big chunk of ice my husband had put in the fridge to keep it cool and put it in the freezer, and brewed myself a pot of coffee. I had to open a Kirkland brand cannister, or pull open the aluminum vacuum seal, because the Timmy's was finished.


I bought this Kirkland Brand last week, at Costco, because it is the cheapest on the market. With the cost of food rising so much in Montreal, I am, all of a sudden, watching what I buy. I like the meat at Costco, so I go there to fill my freezer with chicken thighs, sausages and salmon, bought in bulk (which was in danger of melting down last night.) My flirtation with free range organic chicken was short-lived, apparently, due to this inflation at the supermarket.


My husband, for some reason, particularly frets over the cost of coffee, although he drinks but a cup in the morning. So I defer to him in this instance, for no particular reason, because I ultimately decide what is purchased in the house.


I really should buy a premium fair trade coffee and drink less. I know this.


You know, at Costco last week, they were selling bags of fair trade coffee. Full beans. But you could grind it there. (And I've purchased it in the past.) But I walked right past and bought the bargain brand.


Who suffered to make my mediocre cup of morning coffee. Well, pot of coffee.


And here I am, with the first chapter of Flo in the City, or Flora in the City as I now call it written, in draft form and posted on this blog a few posts ago, and at www.tighsolas.ca/page10.pdf.pdf


I am writing this YA social history book to help young women think about the consequences of their lifestyles.


Flo, of course, does not think too hard about it, even though Providence gives her many an opportunity. She is like me, she is like you. She means well but is lazy. She doesn't have the courage of her convictions. Is that the phrase? I'm tired this morning. Not enough caffeine in me.


When told about the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire she replies: "We make our own shirtwaists." And let's face it, that's a typical response. (At least, I think.)


So, buying this cheap Kirkland Brand coffee, I say, but I never buy gold or diamonds or carpets. Chocolate yes. And cheap clothes, yes. And industrial food chain meat. (I am considering going vegetarian, again, (that will save on food costs...maybe) but have to convince my husband.


Maybe I am writing the book Flora in the City for myself.