Sunday, June 5, 2011

Snail Mail - Hare Mail more likely.



In my last chapter of Flora in the City, I was writing about Mr. Montgomery's car and decided to go back and change 'car' to motor as that is what I thought they were called back then.

But then I checked the auto ads I have on www.tighsolas.ca/page312.html and I noticed these horseless carriages were referred to as 'cars'.

The Nicholson never use the term car for automobile, only for railway or street cars. They say AUTO or motor.. Margaret uses the term car in 1920 in the letter where she has gone to vote for the first time. A neighbour comes down and asks to take her to the polls in his "car" she writes.

Hmm. In Upstairs Downstairs,Hudson calls the family car a motor.. So that's the clue. The Brits called them motors.

Automobile is a French word, I assume.

Oh, I want to get it right.

The book by Dorothy Levitt, the Woman and the Car, 1907, obviously uses the term 'car' for auto. She's British.

Details, details.

Canada Post is on strike. They are having a series of rotating strikes, first in Winnipeg, then Hamilton.

Last week, I posted something important to the PassPort Office and almost freaked when I heard that Canada Post might go on strike. I thought I might have to wait aeons for my new passsport. As it happened, the letter got delivered. Oddly, the Post Master at my PO said that the strike only affected urban mail carriers...but that isn't quite true. Sorters, too, are going on strike.

I guess no one knows what's going on. The reason I posted the letter in the first place is because I didn't know that a strike was imminent. That's what comes with reading The GUARDIAN and the New York Times and Salon.com.

But the strike hasn't been covered much in the Canadian press.. I guess they figure no one really cares.

The Post Office is a redundant service, some editoralists are saying. No one uses snail mail anymore.

Well, my Flora in the City story is as much about THE MAIL as about Women in the 1910's as about Anglo Quebec History.

It's based on family letters, after all. The Nicholsons had a telephone, but didn't use it for long distance, except on rare occasions.

No one delivered their mail. They walked to the Post Office in Richmond twice a day to get it. It gave them something to do. Just like going to Church.

The mail was fast in those days. It wasn't snail paced. More lihe HARE MAIL.