Friday, June 24, 2011

Threshold Girls and Lost Magazines

My new mantle.. Harper's Bazar 1913, Ladies' Home Journal 1906 covers. And 'The Girls'.. or my Anna of the Five Towns vases.

Well, yesterday, I tried to find that July 1911 Food and Cookery Magazine I purchased off eBay five years ago, with the awesomely illustrative article on the Healthful Home.

I need it for the detailing of my Flora in the City Novel in Progress.

I found my 1906 Ladies' Home Journal and the cover of the Harper's Bazar and spontaneously decided to frame them before they fall to scraps. I took the posters of La Dulce Vida and Ladro di Bicyclette (spelling?) out of two cheap Walmart frames and put the covers in and then removed the tall framed details of Van Gogh's Irises and Sunflowers which graced my living room mantle and replaced them with these smaller frames.

They go good with "The Girls" I think: my art nouveau Thomas Forester vases. Right era, right theme. Pretty girls. Girls as decoration.

A theme I'm fiddling with in Flo in the City.

I'm thinking of changing the the title (which really doesn't work as she doesn't get to the city until the end) to Threshold Girl. That's a term used by author Gertrude Atherton in an Article in a 1909 Delineator I have somewhere, but can't find.

It's probably with my Food and Cookery, in the garage.

A "Threshold Girl' is a girl between 17 and 19, who is all muddled and has not yet learned that a woman must pretend to be what she is not, at least according to Atherton.

Threshold Girls are even more confused in 1909, as they have so many more options than did their grandmothers, says Atherton. That's another theme I'm fiddling with in Flo in the City. I'm not sure I agree with Atherton, who is saying what most everyone was saying in 1910: that a woman could have it all. That all doors were open to her.

Threshold Girl is a perfect title for my novel, because the term has two meanings in my story. It refers to Flora's age and also to the times she lives in. The Birth of Now.