Thursday, March 29, 2012

Audio Book - ebook - Freebook, My Book


Well, here's the fourth installment of the first chapter of the first draft of Diary of a Confirmed Spinster, the follow up to Threshold Girl, my free ebook about Canada in the Titanic Era.  This blog doesn't support MP3 files so I have to create a video to read the chapter out. I'm using slides. All very weird. Until I can get my husband the professional video editor to help me with a slick slideshow.

He says he can't do everything, paint the bathroom, blah blah blah..

Before I put up the next installment, I'm going to check my wireless account. There's a limit on upload, but I've never paid attention until I started loading these videos...I dunno. I hope I can finish the chapter before my  6 year old Canon camera conks. (Nothing is made to last that long these days.) It is acting up. Saying the memory card is locked or something. I had to fiddle for five minutes.

Anyway, I wonder if it is disrespectful to take the image of someone who died in a fire 100 years ago and fiddle with it. Well, he won't care, poor boy. Charlie G. died in a fire in 1910, not uncommon. But many more his age died of diphtheria and pneumonia and TB. In fact, there appeared to be some kind of epidemic happening in Richmond in 1912. And then came WWI. Threshold Girl focuses on Flora Nicholson's year at Macdonald College in 1911/12. Two female students died out of the blue that year. She mentions it in her letters (which are in the book.) Her Uncle Dan dies of TB in March 1912.  That's why Flora's Mom, Margaret, was sooooo freaked out when any of her daughters caught a sniffle. That's why I can make an educated guess and say Edith took opium. Medicines in those days had all kinds of good stuff, cannabis, cocaine. And Edith always had a cold.

They invented the term 'drug fiend' back then in 1910. Although plenty of women and little old ladies were going around zonked, it was the poor immigrants that people were worried about, were scared of. Especially the darker skinned ones. When this person took some drugs to decompress, he became a fiend. It's the same as today. Successful businessman, those high octaine 30 somethings who work in high finance or tech, can take all the legal and illegal drugs they want on the weekend, to decompress from their 100 hour work week. No one cares. A recent survey reported in the UK in the Guardian revealed that many highly successful men, all otherwise law-abiding, see nothing wrong with what they do for recreation, the opiates, cocaine and cannabis. In fact, they see it as a necessity, something that helps them be so successful. They would like to give up smoking though. It's the poor we don't want taking drugs, and those who want to get richer by selling drugs to the men in the movers and shakers club, go to jail. This survey says the medical danger is that these businessmen take a lot of sleeping pills to recover from the wild weekends.

I hate taking drugs, the ones that don't pour from a carafe or 750ml bottle, although I took an aspirin today, because a study says aspirin reduces risk of cancer - and I know it reduces risk of Alzheimer's. And I've got a sore shoulder from using the computer.