Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Media Experiments and Me


If you record a recording you get a lisp. I just found that out. Here I read the first part of the first draft of the first chapter of Diary of a Confirmed Spinster, the follow up to Threshold Girl. It's late at night and I have a bit of a furry tongue, but the lisp is a product of technology. It takes forever to load these smallish 52 mb files: it's like going back to 2005!

It's not as bad as the Blue Ray player we got for free about 5 years ago when we bought our big screen HD TV. You can load it and go make a toasted egg salad sandwich, and brew fresh coffee, before it loads. My husband broke down and bought a Playstation thingy. I hate both of the machines. I am too lazy to load anything. I buy my movies now on the satellite and save them on the PVR.

Except now they rent the new releases for two days. I rented Tinker Tailor last week for 6.99 and watched it three times in two days to get my money's worth. What a way to get depressed. Horrible people. Even Colin Firth played a total PIG in that movie. Mark Strong is adorable though, in a broken sort of way. While I wrote that last paragraph the file uploaded just 39 percent.

I think I am using up all my space on this blog platform. Oh well. I'm an essayist by profession, but the essay form is finished, I fear. (It hasn't been "IN" for about 200 years, anyway.) It's all about visuals, these days.

 It seems to me the more technology advances, the  more stupid it can become. That's because, even if something works fine, it is 'improved' upon, so everyone will buy a new whatever it is. But then, if there wasn't progress, I mean, were there no progress :) we'd still be taking pictures with that 5.00 Kodak (purchased in 1906) used to take the picture above, well, the original one, before I scanned it and then  fiddled in Photoshop and then Corel - at a very basic level. Alas Kodak just filed for bankruptcy protection. They had a 100 year run.

Now, from what I've seen in the old catalogues, a five dollar camera is one of the cheapest available on the market in the 1905 era - and five dollars was a lot of money in those days. And you had to still buy film and pay for developing. (Come to think of it, the camera was an IDEAL consumer age product!)

Marion Nicholson made only 600 a year as a teacher with a diploma in the Big City. Her Dad was making just 100 a month in the bush on the railroad and they cut him to 50 a month. That's why there are not many pictures of poor or even middle class people, like the ones I have of the Nicholsons. I wonder, if they had know what would become of their photos, if they would have destroyed them. And imagine what our great grandchildren might do with our digital images, one day. That's if they (the images I mean) aren't all destroyed one day by a radiation storm. So, here it is, finally. It ain't exactly BBC Radio 4, call it Radio Dorothy.


video


Here's a funny bit from the Richmond Times Guardian circa 1910. The Social Notes. Sutherland's Drug store stuck in their ads for a pocket Kodak in this feature, for some reason. I wonder if he had to pay. Wait! He also put in an ad for a Brownie Camera. One and Two Dollars. (So I guess Brownies were the Model T of Cameras, affordable to all by 1910. We had a brownie in 1960.)  Funnier, Norman Nicholson, of my story Threshold Girl puts in an item about a huge potato he dug out of his garden. I guess he was making fun of the Social Notes.

Of course, it was very common for people to advertise their comings and goings, especially well off people in the city.

Here I added a bit. I still have a bit of a lisp. Must be the wine I just drank.Maybe I should do some She sells seas shells by the sea shore.
video