Saturday, April 7, 2012

Tinker Tailor, Books and Movies - and Gossip.


I saw this new category on Google PLAY so clicked on it (how could one not) and saw it was merely an Entertainment Option.

Just same ole. Books and Movies.

It had a best seller list. For movies (rentals) it revealed that Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and A Dangerous Method were 2 and 3 top rentals respectively. (ON GOOGLE?)

Well, I rented Tinker Tailor a few times on the satellite. With Buy on Demand you only get to keep the movie 2 days. So I had to buy it again.  I can't stop watching it even though it is full of despicable characters.  (I wonder what that says about my psyche, except that I am a typical woman and I like looking at Mark Strong and Colin Firth. )

And I also rented A Dangerous Method.

Yes, Keira Knightly is good, and she has to disfigure herself to play the part of  a highly neurotic woman.

But it's really about the relationship between Freud and Jung.

I used to know a lot about it, but have since forgot. Not repressed memories. How can you keep everything in your head?

I do recall that Jung's autobiography, Memories, Dreams and Reflections was one of my favorites ever,with Speak Memory, Nabokov's autobiography. If I recall, Jung's family appeared a bit nuts, but then whose family isn't.  A Dangerous Method takes place in the Threshold Girl era. 1910 ish, an era when you had nothing bouncing around  'in your head' (if you were a girl) but school lessons, Ministers Sermons,  and maybe a few frivolous romantic novels.OH, and town gossip. LOTS of gossip.

And then I noticed something else: that 1984 by Orwell is fifth on their book bestseller list. Considering what's going on in the world today, it's nice to see people are reading up. 1984 was required reading in my high school days, pre-1984,  but not anymore, I'm guessing. Or young people would be more concerned with the ALL SEEING EYE.




Anyway, I noticed that many people from England are downloading my eplay Milk and Water. Doesn't surprise me. I modeled it on their BBC Radio Afternoon Plays, some of which are experimental.

I've been a fan for years, every since they came online. Yes, the Internet does bring us some good things, too. Very good things with respect to the BBC Radio Four programs.