Thursday, May 17, 2012

Deja Vu: Montreal City Hall Corruption?

The Crepeaus in around 1920.

Well, it's deja vu all over again for me, since I've just finished my first draft of Milk and Water about Montreal City Hall in 1927, when my grandfather, Jules Crepeau was Director of City Services.

And now a breaking story says the former Head of the Executive Committee at Montreal City Hall has just been arrested on corruption charges.

It says a few years ago he was second to Mayor Tremblay. In 1927 the head of the Executive Committee was the boss, the Mayor had little power. 

Bizarre. It was in 1921 that the position of Executive Committee Chairman was created. (My grandfather helped draft that Charter.) As soon as it was created, many people wanted it dissolved, including Juge Coderre of the 1925/6 Coderre Commission into Police Corruption.

A couple of months ago someone with a City Hall IP address  downloaded my story. I hope he or she enjoyed it.