Friday, May 4, 2012

Some Like it Moral


My Fair Lady was on Turner Classics a couple of days ago and I watched. It's one of those movies I watch whenever it comes on. Like Some Like It Hot.

And I always notice something new. For instance, the marble scene! It's the same scene they put in The King's Speech. It bothers me in both movies: I mean a person could choke. It makes more sense for My Fair Lady as Professor Higgins doesn't care about Eliza but for the Duke of York. Well! My husband would say I am being picky.

He doesn't care about plot. I don't care about continuity. Bad continuity drives him nuts, because he is an editor. He notices the tiniest things. I notice NOTHING. Ever. Once 30 Rock made a joke about bad continuity, with Liz Lemon wearing a huge red scarf one moment, nothing the next, and I missed it.

Anyway, I always LOVE the Ascot scene in My Fair Lady. The costumes. The hats are so exquisitely stylized. Cecil Beaton won an Oscar for Best Costume Design. Hepburn wasn't even nominated for Best Actress. I guess because the final cut didn't have her singing. I would have given her the Oscar for the Ascot scene alone!

Well, this iconic musical, based on the GB Shaw play Pygmalion, written in 1912,  is about class, upper and lower. It gives a tip of the hat to Middle Class Morality.

So true~ I have 1000 letters from the 1910 era proving that middle class morality was a very real thing.

Now, my husband went to Costco to buy me some ink so I could print out a hard copy of Diary of a Confirmed Spinster, the follow up to Threshold Girl, about Canadian women in 1910, but he came back with an entire printer instead. It was the same price.

I'll print my draft  out, edit it long hand, (easier on my shoulder and easier to do period) and then perhaps post the first draft in a week or so.

Diary of a Confirmed Spinster is about Edith Nicholson, of Richmond Quebec, who loses her great love, one Charlie Gagne in a Cornwall hotel fire, the Rossmore fire.

Edith and Charlie Gagne in 1909. Below. His possible listing in 1901 census.




The story is based on real letters, but I fill gaps in to make it a murder mystery.

I have a choice to make. Charlie is either from Levis and the son of a couturier, which would account for his snappy clothes, or he is from Weedon, and the son of farmers. Either way he's French Canadian.

The 1901 Censuses have two age-appropriate Charlies. In the newspaper articles about the Fire, it can be taken either way. Dead, Charlie Gagne, Teller Bank of Montreal. Levis. The Levis Charles was a 'commis' in 1901.

He's either from Levis or he was a teller in Levis. I know for a fact he was a teller in Danville and then in Cornwall.

I go back and forth on it. I'll decide in a few minutes. I'm leaning towards Levis.

Either way, I will have him converted to Protestantism at Ste. Hyacinthe.