Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Ontario Curriculum Revised and My Free Ebook



The Ontario Curriculum Social Studies (Revised) for grades 1-6 and History and Geography for grades 7 and 8 is online, so I read it to see if my ebook School Marms and Suffragettes could be a practical resource for use in that province's schools.



It seems I should be writing at a grade 8 level, because in Ontario that's the year they cover the turn of the last century, the 1900's. 





My FREE ebook School Marms and Suffragettes is based on real letters. I've embellished these letters a bit, to add drama, but I still aimed for historical accuracy.  (Successful historical writers will tell you to go for the story over historical accuracy.)

I don't see anything in the revised Ontario curriculum about era 'fashion.'  Fashion is very often the topic of most interest to the girls. Boys seem to like transportation. Students get to study the CPR in the Ontario Course.



School Marms and Suffragettes covers both fashion and transportation as well as the Wheat Boom, Education and Women and Work, etc, etc,  all the topics relevant to the Laurier Era. 

And the ebook showcases an exciting new angle on the suffrage movement in Canada.  

(I see that the Ontario students are encouraged to learn about  Nellie McClung and Emily Carr (a nod to women of the era). The Canadian suffrage  movement as taught in schools (if taught in schools) has been packaged and sanitized for politically correct consumption. I think anyway.  

(Of course, that's way better than in the 1970's. Canada Then and Now, our 8th grade  history book discussed no females at all.)

Sir Wilfrid drawing in Canada Then and Now

School Marms and Suffragettes contains a bit about another Female Canadian painter, Mary Riter Hamilton.  In fact, two of her paintings, Maternity and the Gift are key to one of the three stories.


 I've had The Nicholson Family Letters posted on my website TIGHSOLAS for 7 years (with background information). It is popular with the Ontario Catholic School Sector and some teachers in British Columbia.


The Gift by artist Mary Riter Hamilton. I visited the Van Gogh Exhibit at the National Gallery the day before yesterday and while waiting my start time, I tried to find a picture by Riter Hamilton. They don't have any. She is not considered an important artist. And yet she exhibited at the Paris Salons of the time.