Saturday, July 7, 2012

Home-made pizza, shallots and Ginger Coffey



It was a beautiful  Saturday morning (although not as hot as in the US) and  Serena was sticking it to the little Polish girl, so my husband and I went to Ste. Anne de Bellevue, where they have a weekly farmer's market and bought some nice shiny organic veggies. 

Chard (or betacard as they call it here in Quebec)and mint and coriander and a BIG bunch of basil, and onions, halfway between green onions  or scallions and shallots (green onions in English are shallots in French and a shallot in English is a shallot seche in French, I think, but I'm confused) and some carrots and pissenlits which are  dandelions. (Why are dandelions called pissenlits when dandelion greens are dents de lion, a French word? Or is it just the greens are pissenlits?) 

It was too hot to bake, so I made a pizza and we cooked it in the BBQ. (Last time I purchased a thin crust pizza ready-made, I noticed that the size of the thing had shrunk considerably. 6.00 for a tiny pizza! The product consists of more cardboard and plastic then actual edible material. I had enough. I vowed to make my own pizza (for about 10 cents a shot, I figured) from then on. But right after I injured by neck cervices which messed up my arms for a bit and I couldn't knead the dough, but now I am better and keeping to my vow.


While my home-made pizza cooked my husband channel zapped on the TV until he found the original Jaws. "I wouldn't mind watching the original Jaws again," I said. "It's 90 degrees in the garden, too hot to eat outside."

"Let's watch our own copy, without commercials," my husband suggested. But first we took out the pizza and sliced it up.


It was delicious. A veggie pizza garnished only  with some thick slivers of fresh parmesan, feta cheese, olives, zucchini, red onion and tomato sauce and  fresh basil.

"When was Jaws made?" asked my husband, playing our usual game as we sat down to eat in the living room. I guessed 1974. He checked. It was 75.

I hadn't seen the Jaws movie in a while, I recalled only a few scenes clearly. But I do like Richard Dreyfuss as a rule and Robert Shaw's performance, in particular, in this flick.

Then, later on, in the early evening,  as it was still too hot to, say, go for a walk with the dogs, I sat on my bed with the fan blowing on me and turned to BBC Radio 4 and found an Afternoon Play about the playwright John Osborne in 1961, who was married to the actress Mary Ure who that year was having an affair with Robert Shaw.

So I looked up Shaw and Ure in Google images (while listening) and retrieved a picture of the couple in a movie called the Luck of Ginger Coffey, and somehow that movie title rang a bell, or more to the point, evoked a strange nostalgic sentiment, so I looked up the Luck of Ginger Coffey in Wikipedia to see it was a Canadian movie, based on a Canadian book, a Governor General's Award winning book,  and filmed in Montreal! Released in 1964.  Way back. When I was a little girl of 10.

I guess there was a lot of buzz around that film in Montreal in 1964. So it stuck in my mind.  I see on IMDB that the movie was produced by Crawley Films the company that produced that Beaver Movie for the NFB, the one  I saw at school. In 1964. The one with the catchy signature song. "Mr. Beaver is a busy busy body"  or something like that. (A kind of propaganda film about the value of hard work.)

Anyway, I haven't ever seen that Ginger Coffey movie, I don't think. And it's not one of those old movies that plays regularly on Turner or the other movie stations. A lost movie. A forgotten movie. Although not a bad Canadian movie, from the looks of it.

I can't even find clips of it on YouTube. And now I am dying to see it. To see if there are any exterior shots of Montreal in 1964.

There are two copies of the film available on Amazon..but from third party sellers and I don't like to buy used DVDs.

Hmm.