Monday, January 7, 2013

Downton Abbey and My STORY


Well, blow me down! I taped the first episode of Season 3 of Downton Abbey and I am watching it only to find that The Grand Trunk Railway figures largely in the plot.

The railway goes down in 1920  and so does Downton Abbey, apparently. (I pressed pause to write this post.)  Hugh Bonneville invested heavily in the railway.

And Charles Hays, the American President of the Canadian Grand Trunk is also mentioned. 

He died on the Titanic (that is not mentioned). The First Episode of Downton Abbey was all about that boat.

As it happens, I spent the morning editing Threshold Girl to put it up Amazon. Amazon Kindle.

I'm taking a break for this delicious mini-series, but I am reminded of my story.

The ticket above is a ticket for the Grand Trunk Railway. Norman Nicholson took it in 1912, March, to go home for his brother in law's funeral.

I am around that part in the editing process. Flora Nicholson is at MacDonald Teacher's College in March 1912, about to graduate and become a teacher in William Lunn School, which she is told is near the Grand Trunk Railway Headquarters.