Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ebooks and Kodaks and Five Roses Flour


Here is a picture of Marion Nicholson sailing somewhere near Hudson, Quebec in 1911. I know because Marion Nicholson, my husband's grandmother, wrote about her trip in a letter.


Here' an ad for Kodak from the 1911 Canadian Home Journal.

Marion, I know, had a camera and liked to take pictures. She writes about it in her 1907 diary. She refers to it as fooling around, as in wasting time.

Well, in the summer she likes to take pictures. She bored back home in her little town of Richmond Quebec in July 1907.

I know from the Nicholson 'store book' for 1905 that the family bought a "Kodak" for 5.00, which was  cheap.


But Sutherland's Drug Store in Richmond was advertising Brownie Cameras for 1 and 2 dollars in 1910. The Nicholsons would not have been able to afford a 20 dollar camera.

If it were not for this cheap Kodak camera, I would not have so many photos complementing my Threshold Girl ebook.on Amazon.com Kindle.




And I would not have been able to fool around with them, myself, in Corel. Maybe Times haven't changed that much in 100 years after all.

(Flora Nicholson and May Watters of Threshold Girl

Here's some evidence for that: Here's two ads in the Canadian Home Journal, one for Magic Brand Baking Powder and another for Five Roses Flour. I have both of those products in my cupboard. The difference is, that bag of flour has been around for two years (I makes pizza sometimes) and that baking powder, well, I bought it for a specific recipe about 6 months or more ago. Scones, I think. I wanted to make scones like the Nicholsons of Richmond. Scones are really just baking powder biscuits - and beautiful with butter and jam.

 I suspect the BP has lost its oomph and I should throw it away. What was I thinking, buying such a large amount of Baking Powder in this day and age?



In the old days, a company called E.W. Gillett made the baking powder. Today Kraft owns it.

I took the picture above with my brand new Canon I got for Christmas. Power Shot 320 HS. I can send the picture over my household wireless to my computer.


This is a good thing, because the old camera I had, a Canon, broke at the slot where I take the memory card in and out. And the lever that changes the function from camera to video started to get stuck on video. 

Otherwise, I loved the camera, except for the small amount of memory. This new camera is HD. It seems to me they are always trying to 'simplify' things by making them more complicated.


It seems to me the more complicated things get, the more they break. Aren't cameras essentially simple things? I mean we made them in school, with cardboard, right?

Our camera in the 60's lasted 20 years. My husband says we have a couple of these Brownie Cameras in the house somewhere, saved from when the Old Folks passed away. But there hidden away under masses of junk in the garage. Too bad. (I'd take a picture of one.)





Does new technology simplify things? A good question. I doubt it. Technology changes us - and often in ways we can't predict.

At least the Kodak ads here in this Canadian Magazine aren't trying to correct the perception that cameras will be used for naughty business.



.