Friday, March 29, 2013

Healthy Living Catch-22

A turkey hides in my fridge. I'm already sick of turkey, but at 1.50 a pound I had to buy 3 of them!


It's Easter and turkeys are on sale at the IGA, about 1.50 a pound.

So I bought three for my adapted Perricone "Get in Shape for my Son's July wedding" diet, the first diet I've been on in years and one that seems to be working.(I'm also getting inundated with adverts for Perricone products because of this blog.)

I'm never hungry, which is always the problem with calorie-reduced weight loss diets.

I'm not spending my spare time perusing recipes in magazines or on the Net or thinking of my next meal.

 I don't have hallucinations like comedian Dick Gregory (Soul on Ice?) on that hunger strike protest, where he saw hot dogs jumping over the end of his bed.

But I'm also not that keen on eating more turkey or fish, two meats I really like, but only in moderation (I guess).

Now I know that the frozen fish we get is not nearly as tasty as fresh caught, say, by the sea in Nova Scotia. Perhaps that's an issue.

I tend to be eating fish Teryaki or Fish Curry to make up for the loss of flavor.

Turkey never has flavour, except right out of the oven, the dark meat maybe.

Anyway, my Perricone-style diet has become more of a glycemic index diet.

Except I'm eating only spelt because, well, I just love whole grain breads. I love them too much.  I buy a nice fresh artisanal bread and I want to eat the whole thing, slathered in butter.

Apples are low glycemic. Too bad they all taste like sh&***$ nowadays!

And that goes for Pasta, which left al-dente, has a low glycemic rating. I LOVE PASTA DISHES.

So it's spelt, bread and spaghetti, and quinoa and today, barley and my usual chili's with all kinds of beans. Stuff with soluable fibre. Foods I like, and have liked for a long time. A Mediterranean style diet, sort of.

I hardly ever eat barley. Most of us hardly ever  eat barley. But it's a good choice too as a carb.  And I happen to have some in the cupboard.



The side-effect of my weight loss diet (not a bad choice for a diet for me as I had pregnancy diabetes) is that my poor husband is also losing weight.

And I make him an occasional roast of beef. ( I wish I could give him only grass-fed beef, but it's next to impossible to find, even in Argentina, it is said, as some of that country's ranchers have slowly and quietly been changing over to grain. So I read on the net. Money matters, not health.)
My 'carb' cupboard. What a mess! Quinoa is cheapest at Costco. Most foods are. I went to the Bulk Barn once but was SHOCKED at the high prices. I thought BULK meant cheaper. Ha!

He's not over-weight. He's had to watch his cholesterol for years and 'we' as in "I" managed to get it down into the good range... with daily oatmeal, walnuts and beans more fish than he wants to eat.

His doctor wanted to put him on that drug they give every male over 40. Lipitor. But I knew with the drug my husband would think he had leave to eat processed crap all day long (or at least when he was out of my sight.)

And drugs can't be good, all drugs, even the ones they give everyone to compensate for lazy lifestyle, have side-effects.

Most 'fad' diets say give up coffee, but I can't. I just added some expensive tea blends with promising names..



It's too bad in one way. My husband has an excellent benefit plan at work. Most of our drugs are paid for and we hardly use the plan. Touch wood.  Lucky for us, I guess.

And it's about the only good thing about his job, these days, where his salary has been frozen for about 15 years and where the over-time, once plentiful, is no longer.

And yet the cost of living, especially of food and for the gas he needs to get to work, has risen way beyond the so-called cost of living raise he gets each year.

Soon we may be eating only lentils and brown rice. Well, at least we'll be healthy old farts. Hopefully. We won't have this benefit plan after my husband retires.

Call it the Healthy Living Catch-22.