Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tea for Thé




David'sTea. The Packages have English labels.

I went into David's Tea in Fairview yesterday and was dismayed to see the canisters of tea were all labeled entirely in French.

I don't think it was like that the last time I went there.

I liked  reading the 'cheeky' names of the different teas, which included cheekily, Cheeky Lychee.

The teas themselves already have exotic names, Oolong, etc. But the company has gone to great lengths to create signature blends.

Butterfly Jasmine becomes Papillon de Jasmine

Elf Help becomes Joyeux Lutin

Movie Night becomes Soiree Cine (Well, I like that one better)

Hot Lips becomes Baiser Brulant Biologique

and on and on.

Odd, because the sign itself is iffy with respect, to ahem, Quebec's Language Law. (I think.)

 Les Thes David'sTEA. The les thes is much smaller than TEA, but it is a chain and DAVID'STEA is all one word, which makes it a logo.

But hey.

Who's quibbling?

I bought three teas, detox (same in English and French) and joked about the English labels.

The counter girl didn't appear amused.

My joke "I see the labels are all in French, where's English Breakfast Tea?"

She pointed to a cannister triumphantly. There it is: ENGLISH BREAKFAST TEA. in English.

Sort of the Pasta of Teas.

David's Tea is a Canadian company, a five year old success story. I recently heard a BBC Radio program about the artisanal tea 'fad' and how these teas are harvested.

Some teas are specific to a certain side of a certain mountain in a certain country.

Well, so much for Salada Orange Pekoe in tea bags. (That was there in English too, a brand!)

It tastes Great Fresh!

I'm drinking green tea because I am on a Perricone style diet without buying the add-ons, which is what it is all about. I add sea-weed, or sea vegetables as they are now called.

I was surprised to see that the Nicholsons of Threshold Girl drank GREEN TEA back in 1900-1910. How strange.