Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Anthropomorphized Potatoes and Leafy Dreams



A Suzor-Cote Masterpiece at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts





This is the Old Museum on the North Side of Sherbrooke at Drummond. You can't enter by that side.  I'm in the entrance - and am happy to be there. Boy, what a biting wind! And in April.

With six inches of snow on the ground in my yard and some piles as high as 5 feet, I had to go on a Spring Break. But to where?

I chose the Museum. They are having an exhibit of Peruvian Artifacts..

I visited the Exhibit, lots of artifacts, but took no pictures. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to. A giant Eagle in Silver was a highlight. Lots of ceramic stirrup cups shaped variously like jaguars and warriors and one  'anthropomorphized potato" No kidding.    Senor Potato Head.

Then I visited the 'new' Canadian wing that had this picture by whom I don't remember and the image reminded me of a certain Pre-Raphaelite painting. (Under this one)  Except this girl is working class and has something to do.


I guess 'window-gazing' by women is a typical motif. I've certainly been doing a lot lately, as I wait for the snow to melt. Yesterday, our water got cut off so that was another reason I left the house. You can't do anything without water.


 Where was this? Old Orchard Beach? 



Someone's been to Pompeii!

 This (below) must be Emily Carr. Excuse me if I am wrong, but I doubt it.


 And they had a little wing devoted to an artist who painted only Ste Rose Quebec. Way back when. As I once lived in Rosemere, I felt right at home in this painting. And very nostalgic for our hot Quebec SUMMERS.


The New Museum connects to Original One in a rather circuitous way, underground. I finally got there and had only a minute to snap this exhibit of chair design and I had to leave. Closing time.






And here below is the original entrance. I imagine that the room right in front was where they held the Recruitment exhibit in 1917, that I am writing about in Sister Salvation. I will have to visit again soon.

(In Diary of  a Confirmed Spinster I have Edith Nicholson in 1910 visit the old Montreal Art Association building on Phillip's Square. This new one opened around 1913. This building is much more UPTOWN, but if I remember my research they put a street car on Sherbrooke just in 1913. They would have had to. Average women like Edith Nicholson were encouraged to visit art museums back then. Museums were considered women's places and very educative - and women were responsible for civilizing their families.


Here is the Salon of the Belle Epoque. This is how paintings were exhibited back then in 1900.