Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Global Village 1913 Style


Here's the picture from the Montreal Witness of Suffragette Emily Davison's death at the Derby.

The caption reads: one week ago yesterday Miss Emily Wilding Davison, one of the most militant of English Suffragettes, succeeded in throwing the King's Horse "Armer" in the Derby races, thereby herself sustaining fatal injuries. The fact that the Witness is able to-day to present its readers with a photograph of the dramatic affair, shows how closely photography and rapid communication  are drawing the people of the world together."

This was in June 1913, almost 100 year ago today. There you go, the Proto-Global Village and Marshall McLuhan (What are you doin?) was only 2 years old... And here I am, a century later, posting the pic for a lot of the world to see, with one click.

(Well, the photo is already on the web, but you get my drift. Now there's an idea for a Google Doodle in June.)

I'm reading the summer 1913 Witnesses to get myself in the groove to start writing Sister Suffragette, about the Montreal Suffragists and their involvement in the Conscription Crisis. (Hey, maybe I will open with 29 year old Edith Nicholson, my husband's great aunt, looking at this picture! Is she shocked?)

That e-book will be the follow-up to Threshold Girl and Diary of a Confirmed Spinster.

War was coming... the newspaper was predicting it, although the new King, George V,  said another war would be an abomination- or something like that. No, he said another war would be a "Crime against humanity." And so it was...but that didn't stop it from happening. Or World War II, or Korea or Vietnam or ......and on and on.


I wonder what Edith Nicholson of my e-books thought as she viewed this picture. I have absolutely no doubt she saw it. The Nicholsons read this newspaper.

And just a month or so before,  Edith wrote to her mother, Margaret, in Richmond, Quebec:  "We are going to try and hear Mrs. Snowden speak, but she is not militant and for this I am very sad. "  Mrs. Snowden was the moderate British Suffragist who visited Montreal on May 5, 1913 and spoke at St. James Methodist. See my previous post.


The Witness, an Evangelical Newspaper, carried a lot of news about the Suffragettes...and the newspaper seems to me to have had more photos than the Gazette or the Herald.

The Montreal Gazette shared a London correspondent with the New York Times, so Montrealers and New Yorkers read the same articles on UK Suffrage.

Well, if the drumbeat of war was getting you down you could always visit Dominion Park (on Notre Dame in the East End) and relax with attractions like Mini Ha Ha.


Voltex.. is that a Pre-Columbian peoples? I don' think so..Just a freak show.. well, that's what they called them in the era of shirtwaists and suffragettes.  A little person show..



The big City news was the Tramways Controversy, where my grandfather, Jules Crepeau, was involved. But that's another story, Milk and Water... If that mention of Mr. Crepeau had not been printed in the bit below, I wouldn't be here to type this blog post...So it goes...


The Big National News was the Naval Bill.

Actually, I am looking for an engagement announcement. Edith's sister Marion, (my husband's grandmother) got engaged to Hugh Blair in June 1913 and I suspect they put it in the paper. Maybe, anyway.