Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Tale of Four (or Five) Montreal Monuments and Sculptures.


It was a beautiful California day in Montreal, 22 Celsius and sunshine, so I spent just an hour in the McCord Museum archives looking up the works of photographer Frank Randall Clarke for my book Sister Salvation and then headed outside.

Since the Royal Victoria College was right across the street, I couldn't resist crossing Sherbrooke and climbing the front stairs to see if I could take a pic of the Concert Hall. Lucky for me, the concierge was right there, so I asked him if I could see the concert hall to take a picture and he asked, WHY?

So I replied, in French, "Because 100 years ago TODAY, May 1 1913, a concert was given there for a group of suffragettes. I don't know what the word for suffragettes is in French so I said SOOFRAJETTES.

He said OK.

And he unlocked the door and guided me into the hall (which appears to have 60's decor)where a man was playing beautiful music at a piano.

Whoops! I didn't adjust the camera!

And then when I left, I snapped a pic of Queen Victoria on the steps.



And then I walked down McGill and had a coffee at a shop the base of Place Ville Marie Plaza. There were City police  in pairs going around door to door.



I sat at this statue and ate some sushi I bought from as Sushi Shop. This statue will always remind me of a friend from High School. One day as we were walking past here, in 1967 or something, she pointed it out and said. "That's all that women are. That's all that is important." I thought that both weird and deep, but I didn't scoff, as my friend had a full figure (so she must have known) and I did not. I think we were going to see Pierre Elliot Trudeau speak.


I'm in Pieces, Bits and Pieces



I enjoyed this view from PVM with three or four other people and then decided I had better get going to Lucien Lallier Station, to catch the train to Ste. Anne to get my car and deliver it to my husband who has to go to work, editing Sports for CTV.

I passed what is left of the Windsor Hotel and read the plaque explaining the historical significance of the Hotel. (Royalty usually stayed there, except for Prince David of Wales who preferred the Ritz.



And the Sun Life Building. Both places figure in my e-books, Threshold Girl etc.


And I passed some snow at the Episcopal Church. Someone had got fed up and broken it up and thrown it into the sun.


I passed the Windsor Station (no longer is use)


And headed down  towards the Molson Center where the Canadiens play and where the new train station is situated.



And passed Maurice Richard's Statue...I was early so I continued on, because I saw the Guaranteed Milk Bottle was just a few yards away.



This Ahem Montreal Landmark has recently been refurbished and I think, designated a Heritage Site.

It's the only English Only sign in Montreal...I realized that you can't get near it.



It's behind a fence in a derelict corner of town.

You can only see it clearly if you are in the building beside it.



And soon, when they build the super expensive super prestigious condos across from the Molson Center residents will get an eyeful. I wonder if some will complain. TOO BAD! It's a landmark. And the name speaks volumes. GUARANTEED PURE MILK. They were frightened of tainted milk at the turn of the last century. Read my Milk and Water story.


So I tracked back along rue Canadiens de Montreal

And took a picture of Jean Beliveau's statue, which had been decorated on the occasion of the playoffs with red, white and blue stripes under the eyes.


Can you tell that he was drop dead gorgeous? Or so said every woman I knew who ever met him or passed him on the street.



I caught these people doing the decorating. Were they official?


Inside the train station, there's all kinds of Canadiens flags.


And I noticed that from the train platform you could see the front of the Guaranteed Milk Bottle, through the naked trees.







Phew. Some pretty gables (are they called?)