Sunday, July 19, 2015

Carrie Derick, Clarenceville Pioneer


The view from my porch; quiet as usual. Quiet all the time, except for the hum of lawn mowers or electric saws.
It's the MODERN  burbs.

The big tree at right is an oak about 100 years old.. It was a sapling when Carrie Derick was fighting for her career in 1912 Montreal. At McGill.

Actually, two days ago, on a day that was PERFECT, sun, breeze and LOW humidity, the tweenager next door had a pool party.

You'd think I would have been upset because I'm trying to FINALLY get down to writing a novel that's been in the works for 10 years.

But these familiar 'sounds of summer' pleased me... I felt as if I was back in the 60's. And oddly, the kids were blaring the local radio, with 60's and 70's music.

The boy and his girlfriend came around the house, and kicked a soccer ball around.  The girl didn't pretend to be useless. She bent it like Beckham.

That's something different from the 60's..maybe...


Carrie Derick: Outwitted by Emmeline Pankhurst... at least according to my story Furies Cross the Mersey.


Yes, I am finally getting around to writing Furies Cross the Mersey, my story about the suffrage movement in Montreal in 1912, about 100 years ago.

You'd think I'd take advantage of the gorgeous weather and write my first draft outside in the gazebo, but no. I don't  seem to be able to do that.

I have to sit on my bed, looking out at the gazebo.

I'm starting with a scene with Carrie Derick, the first female full professor in Canada who got jerked around a bit in 1912 by the Powers That Be, the big Golden Mile  industrialists of Montreal, who were governors of McGill.

In my story I  have her at home in Clarenceville Quebec, in June 1912, wondering what went wrong; how she of all people lost the most important battle of her life...She blames in on Emmeline Pankhurst.

I consulted the 1911 census to try to figure out what Clarenceville was like. It was, apparently, a small town with a butcher, baker and dressmaker, etc.. and farms.

What did they grow out there 100 years ago? Well, hay and corn for dairy cows, I suspect. The farms of the ET in 1912 were not that productive...

A politician in favor of Reciprocity, or Free Trade, in 1912, says that with free trade E.T. farmers can sell their hay and apples to the Americans.

Anyway, there were plenty of Derick's in Clarenceville in 1911.

And from what I can see they were of Dutch and German descent.

So that explains why Derick could attend the University of Munich and Bonn, she spoke German.



Back to work now.