Wednesday, July 15, 2015

History in 100 Objects


A grand trunk railway ticket used by Norman Nicholson in 1912 to visit his brother in law's funeral in Richmond. This ticket is posted on the BBC Radio 4 website, History of the World in 100 objects, because Charles Hays, the President of the Grand Trunk, died on the Titanic. And his signature is on the ticket. Hays and the Grand Trunk were mentioned on Downtown Abbey and play a part in the plot!




An article I wrote about using the 1911 Canadian  Census to research Threshold Girl is published in the Spring 2013 issue of  the Quebec Heritage News. It's called Edwardian Escapades.



In this issue:

Tenants of the Ch√Ęteau de Ramezay;
Gaspesian British Heritage Village, New Richmond;
Fairbairn House in Wakefield;
Westmount Glen Arch;
Sherbrooke Fine Arts Museum;
Quebec 4-H: 100 Years of History;
The Wealth of the Ottawa Valley; Edwardian Escapades;
A Day Underground (the Montreal Metro);
Letters to the Editor;
and much more!


This is clipped from QAHN's Facebook page.

While I was on  the Facebook Page  of QAHN, the Quebec Anglo Heritage Network, I noticed that they have created a feature, the Identity of  English-Speaking Quebec in 100 Objects.

I found that amusing, as I am a huge fan of BBC Radio 4 and they featured a History of the World in 100 objects a great program even my husband listened to (and liked).

Of course, QAHN acknowledged they copied this show.

The Anglo-Quebec Objects are here. Leonard Cohen, les Canadiens, Mordecai et al. (No Johnny Jellybean or Dave Boxer's weekly hits)

The one object that I can really relate to is a copy of the Quebec Home and School News. I was volunteer editor of that publication for a while in the 90's.

It has occurred to me that I have a number of 'objects' from the Nicholsons... mostly documents but also some furniture.

The very sturdy kitchen chair with the iron-shape burnt into it. I painted it pink, and it's in the garage, but I have a picture here.


For this photo, taken a few years ago, I put the flat iron back onto the burnt in impression. The flat-iron,  I assume, also belonged to the Nicholsons. And that could be one of my first objects. The Nicholsons were middle class, but they had no maid. Not in 1910... (I discuss why on this blog and also in the Quebec Heritage News article. There was a servant problem in 1910.)

In 1911 it took Flora Nicholson of Threshold Girl 2 days to wash and iron her white dress. Electric irons were just coming in, but Tighsolas, their Richmond Home, wasn't electrified until 1913.

A woman irons in 1910. From Technical World Magazine.

So there's my first two items, The Nicholson Family Saga in 100 objects!

Here are three others: Marion and Hugh's Marriage Table Butterflies. Herbert's Temperance Pledge,and the Direct Mail Flyer from 1916, Crisco. My Gosh! I DO have enough things to reach 100. I should try to create a narrative using just the documents.



A wedding on the cheap!
Herbert didn't adhere to his pledge to abstain from alcohol.

With the high cost of butter during wartime, Crisco tries to get converts