Friday, July 31, 2015

I Write Like Vlad!


I've been scoping the Net for French MOOCs, so I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, or Pour Tuer Deux Oiseaux avec une Callou (which I doubt is an expression in French).

There's not very much out there, but I found a short course on Storytelling, which is, by the way, a French word.

This course, is about Applied Storytelling, as in Advertising Writing, etc.

  Except that today applied storytelling is aimed at management types.

One lesson in this Applied Storytelling course leads to a webpage  I Write Like that supposedly analyzes your writing style and tells you what author you resemble, technique-wise.

Well, I put in a bit from my e-book Threshold Girl and got Frank L. Baum. Then I put in a bit from Diary of a Confirmed Spinster and got James Joyce. Then I put a bit from Furies Cross the Mersey and I got  P.G. Wodehouse. Then I put a bit from an old  blog post I particularly like and got Vladimir Nabokov. Then I put in a bit from a blog post where I imitate Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway, to see if I would get Virginia Woolf - and I got  David Foster Wallace.

Nabokov  is a favorite writer of mine.

I simple love his autobiography Speak, Memory, where he describes himself galumphing around the countryside with a butterfly net, and the part in Pnin where the Prof laughs so hard at a bit in a classic Russian book, that is totally lost on his clueless students, that his dentures fall out and to the floor. (Broad Comedy) and the funny fake epic poem at the beginning of Pale Fire (Not So Broad Comedy).


I like listening to podcasts about Art History, because I can just look up the paintings being discussed. This podcast was a talk about Picasso and his influences.

Well, only a computer would equate my writing with Vlad the Butterfly Chaser's or any of the above authors. And they say computers are going to take over the world. Ha!

But, then, maybe the 'alogrithms' - or whatever -are using a very human strategy to get more hits.

Flattery.

Yes, that's it!

As this course Applied Storytelling explains, it's all about the STORY, not the style - and the simpler the story, the more "Star Wars' it is, the better.

For management types anyway.