Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Suffragettes as "Dramedy" Entertainment - in 1912


I have to love this snippet from the Montreal Gazette: On the left, a report on Barbara Wylie's speech at the Montreal YMCA on November 4, 1912 in Montreal. Wylie was a militant suffragette from England.

I write about this very speech in Furies Cross the Mersey, about the Montreal Suffrage Movement.

On the right of it, a review of AIDA.

That pretty well sums up how the Women's Suffrage Movement was framed in Canada, as  entertainment, sometimes drama, sometimes comedy - a dramedy!

My story plays on that, the concept of 'theatre'. The suffragettes were very theatrical - and contrary to modern belief, they all tried to dress very fashionably. After all, no woman, however political, is taken seriously if she dresss poorly!

Furies Cross the Mersey, my ebook on Amazon, serves as an excellent (and extremely relevant) lesson in media literary.

I couldn't help but write it that way. My background is in Media Studies and I worked in the media most of my life.

Furies Cross the Mersey mixes fictional and real historical characters, like Carrie Derick, McGill Prof and Major Influencer of her time.

One of the main characters, a student at McGill's Royal Victoria College, hates how the newspapers portray suffragettes: as silly little ninnies or as vicious harpies.