Monday, August 31, 2015

Women, Tennis and Art

 Camille Pissarro. One of the few tennis paintings not about wealth and leisure. 




As I settle down to watch the US Open, I've got all the English channels on record, but I often listen to the French Canadian RDS coverage. It's very very good.

Le passing? L'amorti?  Tennis is a French game anyway. I think the name comes from "tenez".. as in 'here' or 'hold.'

Serena can speak French apparently. Genie,too, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I've written here about my suffragette play Furies Cross the Mersey and how I created a character, Penelope, who is an avid tennis player.

In one of the scenes in my book, she hears British Suffragette Barbara Wylie speak in 1912 (true story). Wylie says, "Women have made themselves conspicuous in tennis, why not in politics?" (True quote.)

When McGill opened its doors to women in 1886, the first extra-curricular group formed was the lawn tennis society.

They had luncheons where they played the guys, you see! Very cagey of them.

Well, my work lately consists of writing about ART, so I went online to see if there were any paintings of tennis.

But, of course!  And the paintings, mostly from the Edwardian Era, are mostly of women, women of the leisured classes.

Except for the paintings about the French Revolution and the Tennis Court oath.

Indeed, someone has published a book about Tennis and Art.

Here are some of my favorites, all from the Wikigallery.