Saturday, October 3, 2015

Where were you in 72?


My husband is only one year younger than I am, but he might as well be from a later generation. He lived his childhood in a bubble.

Whenever I ask him about an iconic moment in th 1960's, he appears oblivous.


"Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" I ask. "I dunno." "Where were you when Henderson scored for Canada in 1972?"  "I dunno."

OK. He lived in the ex-burbs and was the baby of the family. His closest sibling was 7 years older, and, apparently, she had to go sit in the car to listen to teenage radio.

Otherwise it was CJAD, old folks radio, all the time in his house.

I saw that because yesterday my husband found some disky thing that was full of info from a laptop that faded to black many years ago.

I went through the files and found a long radio aircheck of  CFCF radio, Dave Boxer at Belmont Park, probably from 1968.

(Years ago I had used something similar as a soundtrack for this YouTube video.)

Radio defined teenagers in the 1960's, of course.

I also found two theses that I didn't remember I had: one about Toronto in the Great War and the other, in French, about Quebec in Great War.

Terrific. I am just getting to writing my book Service and Disservice, about the Concription Crisis and the iffy involvement of Suffragists from both of these cities.

I could use this summary background to orient myself more fully.

(Service and Disservice is a follow up to Furies Cross the Mersey about the invasion of militant suffragettes to Canada in 1912/13.)

No radio back then in 1910. Marconi was just getting his radio waves experiments going. I found an article in Technical World: Marconi wanted radio to even the playing field, socially.  CFCF was "Canadian Marconi. Canada's First, Canada's Finest.

In 1910, if you wanted to be entertained, you went to the silent movies, the Orpheum Vaudeville House or to church, to hear a rousing sermon.

While I was reading through these complicated theses, my husband was visiting with old classmates gathered for a reunion.

He told me this when he got  home:

The host of the affair, a young man, said, "You know, I have a picture of us, upstairs, taken just as Henderson scored."

"You do?" said my husband, very surprised. "Where were we?"

"In your parent's basement, " the man replied.

Well, that was a surprise!

My husband's family had a nice colour TV, in the basement,a Motorola Works-in-a box deal. He figures that's why his friends were all at his house.

Here's a 1972 advert for the same TV. Youtube

I, by the way, was in the student lounge at Loyola with two people who I am linked to on Facebook, but haven't seen in person in decades.

 Chock full of smoke the place was and when Henderson scored, kids threw their chairs up into the air, very dangerous.