Friday, January 8, 2016

Tomorrowland, Expo67 and Mrs. Peel

Will they ever recreate Expo67 in a movie?


I watched the first bit of the movie Tomorrowland on Netflix.  Unfortunately, even George Clooney and Hugh Laurie couldn't keep me interested. Despite these actors presence in the film, I am clearly not the target demographic.

But, one part of the film I did find most interesting: the bit at the New York World's Fair of 1964.


I've always wondered whether a movie could recreate Expo67, Montreal's bigger, better World's Fair from three years later.

That's because I include a scene (or scenes) from the fair in my story Looking for Mrs. Peel.

Looking for Mrs. Peel is about my grandmother's visit in 1967. She was a British Colonial, still living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at that time - but she also had been a civilian POW at Changi Prison in Singapore during WWII.

As it happens, we share a name, Dorothy Nixon. (Well, I am named after her.)

I used her 'diaries' to write the story.

So, you could say my Looking For Mrs. Peel story is a combination of Tomorrowland and Bridge on the River Kwai, or better, Tenko, the BBC mini series about women prisoners of war in the Far East during WWII.