Friday, March 24, 2017

Deconstructing a Fille de Roi and a Maternal Line

 My perplexing ethnicity chart, care of Eurogens and Gedmatch.


I just received my MT Full test from Family Tree DNA. I am going to swab my cheeks to investigate the origins of my French Canadian mother's maternal line.

It's no mystery to me. My mother is French Canadian and her Mom's maternal line, if I've figured things right, goes back to a Fille de Roi called Francoise Boivin dit Normandie from, of course, Normandy.

The history of French Canadian migrations is well-documented. Apparently, Francoise, whose parents are unknown, arrived in Quebec on La Nouvelle France in 1668. (Whoops. Her Mom, at least one person on Ancestry claims,  is an Irene Perron from Haute Normandie and her grandmom a Lily Eva Perron from Ste Genevieve Haute Normandy, right on the English Channel.)

Here's the place:


Francoise married a Lamoureux in Quebec and had 10 kids. She was a fecund Fille de Roi.

Now, my mother always told me her people were from Calais.  Well, that's not far from La Bas Normandie. And I have found an ancestor who came from Picardy, a vintner. Calais is in Picardy.
My grandmother Maria Roy about 1900.  She comes from a long line of butchers, I notice. My mother always characterized her Mom, Maria, as a peasant type, because she had only a fourth grade education, and her father, Jules Crepeau, as a more cultured man because he had risen up to be Director of Montreal City Services in the 1920's.  But, Maria's side was the wealthy one. Her father was a Master Butcher, and she supposedly had a 40,000 dollar dowry. Read about that here 


I've completed a few lines on my mother's tree and her father's paternal line, the Crepeau side, comes for Poitou, in La Loire district and her Mom's maternal line comes, as I said, from Normandy.

Most French Canadian pioneers came from these two places. Indeed, there's a museum dedicated to these 17th century emigrants in Normandy.

So, I don't quite know what to expect on this MT Full test.  I am doing it because my autosomal test from Ancestry came out very weird, indeed. (See this previous post.)

My Dad is from Yorkshire and Cumberland, England and I came out part British, Scandinavian, Italian, Aegean Islander and Caucasian -as in Caucasus, Turkey.

What? I was a little confused. Was my REAL father a Sicilian?

I have since read that many people who are part French Canadian come out this way on these ethnicity tests. And I've found potential English cousins on Ancestry with ancestors that look like  my Dad.

How about this one. The top is my Dad. The second guy a Yorkshire-born man I nicked from a " distant cousin's" tree. (My dad was born in Kuala Lumpur, but that's another story.)


In 1100, the Normans controlled part of Turkey, the Southern half of Italy including Sicily and Normandy and most of England.

I also exchanged emails with a 100 percent Norwegian woman who had lots of Caucasus in her Ancestry ethnicity profile.

So, that might mean the Caucasus bit is from my father, who is from a part of England with lots of Norwegian roots.

So, there you go. I may be wasting my time and my money (300 dollars) or I may be explaining a little bit more about a mysterious Fille de Roi pioneer from Normandy, my many times great-grandmother Francoise Boivin dit Normandie.

PS. There's a book, Frenchmen into Peasants by Leslie Choquette, explaining it all, but it costs, yikes, 100 dollars on Kindle. I found a paper by the book's author. She says the original Quebec settlers were urban, merchantile and mobile, but they became virtual peasants for the next 300 years due to various forces.