Sunday, April 16, 2017

French Canadians - Genes - and Colourful Ethnicity Wheels

I have a rainbow of colours on my ethnicity wheel on Gedmatch.. My French Canadian possible cousins had very plain wheels with North Sea, Baltic and Western and Eastern Mediterranean.  I was confused.


Well, let's hope it's over.


I have been agonizing over the fact that my Ancestry DNA 'cousins' seem all to be French Canadian. After all, I'm supposed to be half French Canadian and half British from Yorkshire,Cumberland and Northumberland.


I had my autosomal DNA tested and I instantly found oodles of French cousins, with ties to my family tree, on Ancestry.


41 of them, in fact, and I've only completed about 10 lines back to the boat and Normandy and Poitou.

But, I couldn't for the life of me find a tree that didn't have a French Canadian in it!

To top it off, my ethnicity wheel made things more confusing. French Canadians, it appears, come out North Sea, Western and Eastern Mediterranean and Baltic.

I had less North Sea than almost anyone of my 'cousins', except for a cousin who is three quarters Italian and one quarter Northumbrian.

I also had a real rainbow of colours. Lots of Caucasus (about double what my cousins had) and Siberian and Holy Land and Polynesian and Amerindian. Whoa!

No one I could find on my connections list, with a tree I could verify, had a wheel anything like it.

But, then, I went to Gedmatch and tried to find people with my English Grandparents' names in the right regions, Richardsons, Cowens and Forsters.

It wasn't hard, I immediately found shared DNA with 4 people with those names. Four people with shared DNA out of a handful of  contenders.

 And when I checked out the Forster wheel, (Eurogens 13) it was as colourful as mine, except no Amerindian.

Someone directly related to my father's great great grandmother had a kit, but when I entered it, it stalled. (What bad luck!.)

But, there you go. Case closed. Until tomorrow, when I start agonizing again. I won't rest until my brother gets tested this summer.

The problem is, many people on Ancestry have large trees going back to pioneer times, Virginia and such, and they all have at least one French line, to go with their Italian line and their many German lines, etc. America is, indeed, a melting pot.

 It seems many immigrants to North America have someone who stopped in Montreal. It was a major port, after all. That messed me up.

Whenever I saw a French name on these American trees, or an Anglicized French name like Beechamine or Tibo or my favorite, LeFEEVER,, I decided that person was attached to my French Canadan line.

That's not necessarily true.