Thursday, May 11, 2017

Exotic and Expensive North Yorkshire.



I am quite enjoying watching All Creatures Great and Small on YouTube, this terrible, ugly, cold Spring in Quebec.

I'm on season 2.

I see that, for some strange reason, it was deemed a children's show for the Primetime Emmy's. Pretty crazy.

Sure, All Creatures has a lot of animals, and no swearing, but  the protagonist is a grown-up. The main characters are grown-up and the situations are very realistic, naturalistic, one might say.

The show is  not heavy-duty like my current favorite Call the Midwife, although very similar when it comes to all the birthing issues ;) and James seems to save most of the animals, but really, a children's show?

I'm watching the program because I am researching my ancestry, half from Yorkshire.

I've never been to Yorkshire or to the Dales. I intend to go to the Helmsley region, sometime in the future, but the hotels are expensive for the most part and I can't figure out how I'll get around once there, since I don't want to drive around on the 'sinister' side of the road.

Using the databases, I am trying  to figure out who I am related to out there (all the ususal names are in my tree, I can see from the era censuses). And, when I find a name and a distinct "house," I look that up too.

(Gosh! The high prices of homesin  rural Yorkshire!)

The picture at the top is the view from a fine house where an ancestor, a Nesfield, I think, lived.  This Nesfield must have been a richer person to reside there.. Most of my ancestors seem to have been farm labourers.

My father was called Peter Nesfield Forster Nixon, so it was obvious he had a Nesfield ancestor. I just had to figure out who.. It was his father's grandmother.

Ann Nesfield.
My genetic heritage through the prism of Dodecad on Gedmatch. Which part is my mother's?Which part my father's? I think the Caucasus bit is from my Yorkshire Father.

Nesfield is a rare name, and it is found only in Yorkshire, I believe.  There are few Nesfield matches on Gedmatch, so I can't see if I share genes with anyone with such an ancestor posting their DNA there. If what I read on the Internet is right, this Nesfield family has Norman heritage, as they are  named after a place.

My mother, being French Canadian, has lots of Norman genes, too, of course. So, it can get complicated for me.

I share genes with descendants of Richardsons  and Boyes and Wilsons, etc. etc.  so I guess I am a Yorkshire girl.

I don't look like my father, so I'm not 100% sure.  Many of the locally-hired bit actors playing Yorkshire farmers sure do look like my father, though. His father's Nixon line dies with a non-parental event around 1800 and continues as Neesam, another Norman name, I guess. His second great grandfather took his mom's name. She was Hannah Nixon.

This website started out about my husband's Isle of Lewis Scots - Richmond, Quebec ancestors, at the turn of the last century.

While researching their story, I discovered something. At that time, 1910, Canada was looking for farmers from other countries to farm wheat out West. Some xenophobic Canadians wanted only Yorkshiremen to come, but that didn't work out. These British farmers were too set in their ways, apparently, to deal with the winter cold, etc.

Eastern Europeans, with their bright clothing, settled the West, to their dismay.

From what I can see on All Creatures Great and Small, Yorkshire farmers were rather exotic, too, in their way.